Spun (Kings of Chaos) by Shyla Colt Review

Series: Kings of Chaos #1
Publish: April 12th 2015 by Hot Ink Press
Format: ebook, ? pages
Rating: 5 / 3.5
Synopsis: Born to a King of Chaos patch holder with a case of wanderlust and a self-centered mother, twenty-one-year-old Nevada Weber is used to taking care of herself. She's spent her life skating by on her wits and pure determination. When she lands in a situation, she can’t haggle her way out of, she’s forced to rely on another brother for help.
Club enforcer Gage “Wizard” Carmody has done his job too well over the years. Icy and numb on the inside, he walks around in a prison of his making. When the bright green-eyed girl he helped raise winds up unclaimed and in need of protection he steps in seeking redemption. In a life where destruction lurks around the corner, they discover something with the potential to bring healing and happiness.
But when you live in Chaos nothing goes as planned.
Review:
  I randomly choose this book from my TBR list without rereading the synopsis and since I couldn’t remember it I ‘went in’ kind of blind. I even was contemplating to abandon it after it became obvious that there is a huge age difference between the main characters. I can tolerate a lot of gruesome thing in books but for some reason I don’t like books where is a huge age gap between the characters in a relationship, especially one where they could be parent-child and the older character helped raise the other since birth. That’s my limit. However this book has a really great writing style and the story sucked me in from the beginning so I continued. I didn’t regret it.

  The book has a very good structure and the story flow fluidly. It’s kind of short but it spans in a sufficiently long time. There is a bit jumping in the timeline but way it’s go by in it just makes the story more believable, more realistic and not as insta that in other similar stories.
  The book is narrated from two different points of view. We see thing from Nevada and Wizard side, too.

  Nevada is 21-years-old but has an old soul. She had a lot of hardship while growing up so she is a pro survivor but besides surviving she doesn’t do much else. She’s not living just existing or as she states in multiple occasions she floats through life. It’s hard for her to trust in anybody or even just enjoy herself. But she has a clear picture about life and a quite different personality under the hard, quiet and shy outer shell she formed around herself. It’s time for happiness. Oh, and I think she is the first character who doesn’t make a fit about how ‘her man’ treats her, she knows her place. Don’t get me wrong I don’t agree the way they treat woman in MC books, but if you willingly enter a relationship like that then don’t whine about it.
  Wizard is older than Nevy and known her form birth. He also had to grow up fast and had a hard and unusual childhood, but he found a family with the club. He is quite levelheaded, respectful and reasonable but also has a harder, scarier and more dangerous side he needs when dealing with club business. He is not a saint but not too bad after you get to know him.

  My only problem is that I think the story has a lot more potential in it than the author used up. It could have been more detailed. I also think that the ending is rushed.
  There is plenty of action, emotion and twist and my heart almost break a couple of time.

  I liked the, it gone full circle, has a beginning and a satisfying ending but still short. I liked how it relays emotions in times it’s almost palpable. It’s an MC book but not that harsh and crude than others. I think I’m gonna check the author other works, too.

By Viki

1 comment: