Bloodmagic (Blood Destiny) by Helen Harper Review

Series: Blood Destiny #2
Publish: December 29th 2012 by Helen Harper
Format: ebook, 156 pages
Rating: 5 / 4
Synopsis: After escaping the claws of Corrigan, the Lord Alpha of the Brethren, Mack is trying to lead a quiet lonely life in Inverness in rural Scotland, away from anyone who might happen to be a shapeshifter. However, when she lands a job at an old bookstore owned by a mysterious elderly woman who not only has a familiar passion for herbal lore but also seems to know more than she should, Mack ends up caught in a maelstrom between the Ministry of Mages, the Fae and the Brethren.
Now she has to decide between staying hidden and facing the music, as well as confronting her real feelings for the green eyed power of Corrigan himself.
Review:
  The second book in the Blood destiny series starts roughly six moths after where Bloodfire ended. I was really excited when I started it because the first one was simply fantastic, but in the end I was a bit dissapointed.

  The characters and the writing style is still the same and I sill like it but there is a huge hole in the book. In my opinion there isn't a story behind the happenings. Sure there is a lot of action and badass fighting, new developments and emotions but nothing realy connecting and more important main thread than in the previous one. Because of this and the lenghtof the book when I finished I felt like I lost half of the book somewhere along the way. Kinda ended in the middle of the action. And I had high hopes, I don't like when I have to be dissapointed. It was unfortunate. This huge missing piece was my main problem with the book, I liked the way things were working in the first book, but in this everything chaneged. There is a jumble of everything supernatural in it. Mack pisses of everybody who counts, meddel with the fae, with magic and with the shifters even more. And I missed the shifters. Sure there are shifters in it, mainly Corrigan I just don't get why, doesn't really have a place in the story. They just show up out of the blue. Don't get me wrong I accept every minute I can get from Corrigan, but their part of the story is out of place is this book. So there is everything in it, a confusing mix of otherworld and the whole thing is rushed. It is good for making a great foundation for the following books but nothing else.But I still liked it. When you have a great main character and an interesting world and a talented writer, it is almost impossible to write a bad book. I look at it like a bridge or a companion novella.

  I loved Mack how she was in the first book. She isn't worst in this just a bit more emotional and maybe reckless. After leaving the pack she became pennyless and really lonely, oh and a bit paranoid, too. But her fighter spirit saves her again and again. Her biggest problem in this installment she cares too easily and can't give up somebody even if it means she becames the target. She gets new abilitis and those just complicates her life. Honestly I laughed a lot because of her reactions. There are a lot of changes in her personality and I can't decide yet if it is good or bad that she started to mellow.
  Then there is that so called sexual tension between her and Corrigan, it is still there and finally they started to realize it, too. I'm rooting for them they are cute together.
Unfortunately, Corrigan lost a little of his shine for me. He is a bit slow realizing the true and looks a bit dumb because of it. An beside that his obsession with Mack starts to seem unhealty. Okay, I still like him but come on get yourself together and man up. Just like in the first book.
  There are quite a few new characters but we still doesn't get to know them deeper. However, in this book I doesn't rmind it that much I did it in Bloodfire. Solus isn't really lieabel, at least I doesn't like him. And the others just keep dragging Mack down.

  I'm goingto continue the series despite my initial dissaponitment. I hope Corrigan and Mack romance ging to fire up a bit and the story gets back to the right tracks. I really like the general conception of the book I hoping for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment